Harriet Eddy Silver Hornets
Below should give you an idea of what you need to do to qualify for each letter. Couple of things to remember:
- You only need to complete 7 of the 8 categories
- You have 2 years to complete (both 7th and 8th grade)
- You can NOT use hours from one category for another
- You CAN use hours from National Junior Honor Society, Leadership, and other clubs
DESCRIPTION OF AREAS FOR LETTER AWARDS
YOU MAY NOT DOUBLE IN ANY AREA.
YOU MUST EARN LETTERS IN SEVEN OUT OF THE EIGHT AREAS.
Each petition must reflect 16 or more hours of service completed.
Decide on an area to work on and get the adviser’s prior approval for the planned activity. Then fill out a Goal Sheet stating how you will work towards that activity. This also needs to be approved before you start the activity. Next, fill out a Petition and Hours Log for the completed area in which you have spent the required amount of time. Submit the petition to the Hornet Honor Society adviser for approval. You will receive a letter tag each time you complete this process, spelling out H-O-R-N-E-T-S.
Area 1 SCHOOL SERVICE
- Helping teachers at Eddy outside of class time (before, after or lunch)
- General school service (i.e. office, tutoring after school, library)
- Helping at another school in the Elk Grove Unified School District
Area 2 SCHOLASTIC ACHIEVEMENT in lieu of community service – Counselor must sign
- Renaissance card for three consecutive quarters
- Straight A’s in an academic class for four consecutive quarters
Area 3 CLASS ACHIEVEMENT
- Departmental project for competition (i.e. History Day, Science Fair) (must represent at least 16 hours of work)
- Competing in a school group such as Mathletes, school competition events, student of the month
Area 4 LEADERSHIP
- Eighth Grade Leadership class, officers, Conflict Managers, NJHS officers, athletic captain
- School Club Officer (must represent 16 hours separate from club membership)
- Community club or organization officer outside of school
Area 5 ARTS – Must include a public presentation
- Band, choir, private music lessons, art or photography classes, for example
- Drama, Community Theater, Dance, Karate, etc.
- Visual Art Portfolio representing 5 different mediums and 2 public exhibitions
- Exhibiting projects/crafts at the Western Festival, County Fair, etc.
- Sign Language Class
Area 6 CLUB PARTICIPATION
- Active member of a club. Must represent 16 hours of active participation (cannot be doubled with being a club officer)
Area 7 ATHLETICS – MUST INCLUDE A COMPETITION
- Active participation in any sport that represents at least 16 hours of involvement
Area 8 COMMUNITY SERVICE – non paid service done outside of your home
- Sixteen hours of community service to an organization other than the Elk Grove Unified School District (Scouts, 4H Club, Library, SPCA, free babysitting, helping neighbor mow their lawn, etc.)
- Earning a life support certificate (CPR, Life Saving, American Red Cross Babysitting)
- Religious Training (beyond Sunday School)
- IB Middle Years Programme